The Spahr center is devoted to serving, supporting, and empowering LGBTQ people and people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS in Marin County. We welcome community members and clients to apply for consideration for Board membership.
If you have a passion for our mission and a willingness to work to guide and support The Spahr Center, please get in touch. We’d love to give you more information about the board’s current needs and activities.
The following summary gives you a quick overview of the Board of Directors primary areas of responsibility – governance and support.
As a group, board members are the stewards of the agency, overseeing its operations affairs and giving feedback to the Executive Director. Together, they are responsible for:
- Determining the mission, purpose, overall strategies, policies and priorities of the organization;
- Monitoring the performance and impact of programs and services;
- Overseeing compliance with laws and regulations and fulfillment of contractual obligations;
- Assuring the agency has adequate financial resources and maximizing their use;
- Safeguarding resources from misuse and ensuring appropriate risk management;
- Selecting, evaluating and developing the Executive Director;
- Assessing and improving board performance;
- Approving fundraising strategies and monitoring their effectiveness
As individuals, board members support the agency by volunteering, raising money and advising. They are responsible for –
- Contributing to the agency’s fundraising success, as appropriate to each individual (making a financial contribution; volunteering at fundraising events; making business contacts; soliciting contributions)
- Assisting staff in raising funds;
- Acting as ambassadors to the community on behalf of the agency and its clients/participants
- Volunteering and assisting in volunteer recruitment
- Advising staff in areas of expertise and acting as a sounding board for the Executive Director
- Lending their names and personal credibility to the organization through their membership.
Please call The Spahr Center if you are interested in Board membership. Click here to download an application.